Sunday, August 7, 2011

Training day 1

Yesterday was day 1 of training or back in the game.  I hug the kids and husband goodbye, explaining "I'm going out for a run".  They all wish me luck.  I get my music playing and start a brisk walk.  I am feeling good.  I'm jamming out with the music.  All is good.  I want to know what my minute time is, so I press the stop watch on my watch and start to run.  I know I shouldn't over do it, so my pace is pretty slow.   I am a few minutes in now and getting pretty winded.  My knees are hurting and my legs are feeling that they weigh about 100 pds each.  This is my old "short run" course.  "Wow", I thought,  I am really out of shape.  I press on and look at my watch, 7 minutes have passed.  Back in the day I ran a 6 minute mile.  Now I haven't completed a half mile in 7 minutes.  I look behind me to see if I'm pulling a wagon with children in it only to realize it's just my butt! 
I finished the run.  Total of 1.5 miles.  My time was 16.44 minutes.  I was overwhelmed.  I have registered for a half marathon. I can't run 2 miles, how will I run 13.1?
I am 20 pounds heavier, several years older, but my determination is the same.  I will run again today and set a goal of 16 minutes.  I realize that is a long mile to most runners, but it's better than yesterday.  That's my goal, to always do better than yesterday! 
So if you want to follow me on this journey I welcome your support.  I will be honest about everything, the good, the bad and the ugly.  My grammar is horrible and  punctuation worse, but I'll try and make you laugh, (with me not at me). 
I have 29 weeks to train.  Looks like I will need all 29! 

No comments:

Post a Comment