Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Running with my best friend

Running over the past days has been pretty good.  I was able to run my 1.5 embarrassment in 12:44.  Still defiantly not where I want to be, but at least I would wave if I saw someone I knew instead of hide in the bushes til they passed. 
We came to visit my aunt and uncle in Tampa for the week.  I brought all my running stuff so I didn't give myself any excuses.  (Remember, I need ALL 29 weeks!) The first day I was here, I bailed.  I intended to run, but after the drive and blah, blah, excuse, excuse, I didn't.  Sooooo, Tuesday I knew I had to not only run, but increase my distance.  Really 1.5 miles?  That's not even really a warm up for a half marathon.  I know I need to train slowly, but I don't do slowly very well.  I jump in with both feet, even if I break them on the landing.  I tied my shoes and set out for a run.  I have no idea how far I'm going because I haven't done the mileage for a course.  I judged my distance by songs on my player.  I got back to the house feeling pretty good, but worried I didn't go very far.  My time was 18:22.  I prayed out loud that it wasn't 1.5 miles.  I was preparing my excuses, the heat, the sun was in my eyes, there was a rock in my shoe...but the I saw how far I had run.  I had run 2.3 miles.  That still isn't far but I was proud of my time.
So today, I needed to run at least 3 miles.  I decided to map out a course before hand.    I tied my shoes and headed out.  I was enjoying the music and looking at all the beautiful homes.  The heat was pretty bad but every now and then there was a breeze.  The run started getting pretty difficult and there was a part of me that was about to walk when my best friend showed up. 
You can call me crazy, but you'll have to wait in a long line.  When I run God talks to me.  He is my biggest cheerleader when I am my worst enemy.  I so wanted to stop, when He said, "You can do this because I am here running with you."  I got chill bumps in 100 degree weather.  Tears came to my eyes and a smile on my face. 
The voices in my head that were dreaming up excuses to stop and telling me I couldn't do it were quiet.  They were gone.  Before you think "it was probably endorphins", I know it wasn't.  I have ran my whole life.  I know what that feels like.  This was not endorphins.  Compare endorphins to eating a tic tac when your hungry.  That is the best way I can describe it. 
Today I ran over 3 miles.  I have no idea my time.  I forgot to stop my watch because I was enjoying my company.  My body is tired but my spirit could fly. 
I look forward to my runs now more than ever because I get to run with my best friend!

1 comment:

  1. Woot Woot! God talks to me when I run too. Ill never tell but there is a chance I have run with my arms in the air with just the right worship tune blaring on my ipod!
    DeDe

    ReplyDelete